Construction of the church began in 1840 on the site of the parish hall which had been there since 1830.
Henry Robertson was the original architect and the church was completed in 1841 by Edmund Blacket.
Christ Church, St Laurence was consecrated in 1845.
It stands at 507 Pitt Street, Sydney but its entrances is via 812 George Street.
In the 1st photo the church is at the far left. At this stage it has no steeple.
In the middle of the photo is the Sydney Turnpike. Gates crossed both George and Pitt Streets and tolls were charged for the maintenance of the roads. The gate keeper's lodge was in the apex of the triangle of the turnpike.
The building on the right was the Benevolent Asylum. It was erected on Pitt Street in 1820.